Friday, June 25, 2010

I love Kaufman Imperial Collection ..

While I was in my LQS the other week I spied some fair sized scrap bags for $5.00 each. You can bet I was on those like white on rice! It surprised me that a posh shop like that would have scrap baggies, but hey -- they must have known I was coming. Some of them were strips of odd calicoes ... ick .. but then I saw the holy grail of scrap bags: A big stack of strips from Robert Kaufman's Imperial Collection*!

When I got them home and tenderly laid them out I figured there was about a yard of fabric there, all  2-3 inches wide. And I thought "my goodness these fabrics are so lovely, so pretty, pretty pretty ..." & then "What should I make with them?!"

 This is the pattern I decided on: Modern Chain Quilt from the ever talented Allison @ Cluck Cluck Sew. I give her credit for the pattern because that is where I remember first seeing it, but I know there are many other versions out there. Like this stunning and gorgeous example from my idol, Carla Barrett of Feathered Fibers. Have I ever mentioned I want to be Carla when I grow up .... ?

So I had my pattern, my scraps, and an aching mouth I wanted to pretend I didn't have. Thank you dentist ...Thankfully setting to work kept my mind off the pain. Here is the preliminary top:





















All that white space calls to me. I am going to have a blast quilting this, I just know it! (And not bad for $5.00 of scraps and some Northcott broadcloth!)

*As much as I wish I could find a proper picture of Imperial collection #5 which has the fabrics I used all I found was the 6th collection. Same idea but more colourways and cultural stuff in that collection. Oh, and the blues are all from the RKaufman fabric fusions lines.

1 comment:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Ilana this is wonderful. What a great way to use that super scrap bag of goodies. The gold makes it glow. I can't wait to see what you do with the quilting.
Sadia