Sunday, September 18, 2011

Learning to McTavish

First of all, if you don't know what on Earth I am talking about when I say "McTavishing", go HERE. No really. Go now! Pay special attention to the gallery & McTavishing links. Then come back here :)

If you don't know this about me --- well, you weren't paying attention, were you?! I love to quilt. But more than that - I love to finish a quilt. All that stuff after basting but before binding is my absolute favorite. No sending out to a LAQ for me, no siree. I could probably be happy if I never pieced a top again and instead had piles of basted quilts waiting for me to slide under the needle.

{Aside from the fact that I have too many ideas of tops to make, too many unique pattern ideas to test, too many fabrics crying to be used ..}

In any case I love finishing and I am always looking for things that will help me improve my custom work. McTavishing has been something I have wanted to practice on, especially since I have started making applique quilt tops like Hop To It and Spirit of the Northwoods.  Errr ... both of which are tops, waiting backing & basting. Did I forget to mention that somewhere on this blog? Oops.

So I bought this book:


And let me tell you - it is glorious. It is a free motion quilter's bible, in my opinion. The book has a quick how to section [I haven't even gotten to the DVD yet!] and then page after page of examples. Full colour photos give you close-ups for every kind of quilt - pieced, applique, hand quilted, trapunto, whitework, wholecloth  --- as well as the artist's quick run down of what machines and thread they used. I think it is pretty cool that so many different quilter's projects are featured in the book, and not just Karen's. It just adds to my impression of her as a totally cool chick!

I practiced a little on a tree skirt this summer, but I think the real test was the quilt I finished today. It is a charity quilt I picked up at the Oakville Quilter's Guild meeting last Thursday. They always have tops that need finishing (and less finishers than toppers, which is a quilting tendency ...) and I almost bounced out of my seat when they held this one up.
Add caption

It was made and donated by a lady named Dorothy Baker and her applique is truly astounding. Somehow all those little circles and scallops are turned edge and sewn with the tiniest zig-zag I have ever seen. In fact, I couldn't see it at all! She also used clear monofilament in the top and cotton on the back. Every stitch is precise - I couldn't find a mistake anywhere as I quilted. No tiny little wander or anything!! Here is what it looks like now that I am done with it:





I'm really happy with how it turned out!

3 comments:

quilton said...

Elizabeth, it looks fantastic. I wish it would go to auction and I'd bid on it, til I won it.

Dorothy said...

Elizabeth, it looks fabulous! Thank you for your kind words about my applique.

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad you like it! Your work is amazing, and it was a pleasure to work on :)