Saturday, October 15, 2011

Slice n' Dice 4-Patch

Last year when I joined the Oakville Quilter's Guild I had no idea what I was getting into. But to be fair it is mostly my fault ---- I jumped in with both feet (as usual) at the very first meeting I went to. I went as a guest and left a full member, took home two outreach quilts to quilt for them, and took home at least 6 ideas for new quilts. Things haven't changed much since then!

In the spring a few of the executives cornered asked me if I would like to manage the Block of the Month for the next membership year. I said "Okay, I think I can do that."

Over the summer I researched blocks to fit some simple criteria: I wanted a collection of blocks that looked more complex than they were and that preferably had some sort of cutting trick involved. I also wanted all of the blocks to fit in a sampler quilt at the end OR create quick quilts on their very own. I'm thrilled beyond expectations with the first block I released in September -- and we haven't even had a second meeting this year for members to bring their blocks in!

The Slice n Dice 4-patch makes awesome quilts - and the blocks themselves get addictive quickly. I gave out the instructions on a Thursday night and by the next Monday one member had made a whole top to show us. Do you want to know how happy that made me? More members have commented on how much they love the block as well - and my QATW "pattern testers" approved.



And then this swap opened at QATW as the second in a series of Breast Cancer Awareness swaps - guess which instructions we are using? {I joined too!}


Pinned Image

And I saw Happy Zombie post this picture to her Pinterest board. It has been re-pinned at least 30 times.


And then I went to the Guild Outreach meeting and a group of us combined efforts to make about 20 blocks for a charity quilt.

See? It really is taking over the world ...


No comments: