Thursday, May 6, 2010

Crafty Organizer & Instructions!

In my tentative forays into the embroidery & embellishment world lately, I've been a little frustrated by never being able to keep all my tools and threads organized --- or even in the same room as where I am stitching! Now, there are thousands of designer tool case options, but 1) I'm not rich and 2) none that I saw really had a way to keep your thread skeins handy.

So I just sat down at my workstation and made my own! Here is what I came up with:




I can stash my pencils, scissors, threads, seam ripper, and even a padded booklet of needles. Depending on what you are working on, you could even fold up the project and tuck it into a pocket! And then, the top flap is folded down across the pockets and the whole contraption can be rolled into a bundle and secured (with velcro, a snap, a button, etc .. I used some ribbon)

And then I grabbed all the embroidery floss colours I have been using, cut approx. 25 in lengths, separated them into 2 thread units, and ...

Using a darning needle I tacked them all loosely into the lining of the top flap! Each unit of floss is now ready to be tugged out (from the left side where each set of strands is knotted) and used immediately. They won't tangle or get lost or fray or be stolen by my cat. Hooray!


Now I have all my tools rolled up with all of my threads, nothing misplaced or tangled, and I can stuff the whole caboodle into my purse!








Instructions - My Tool Roll-up
1) Select two fat quarters of fabric (one for the lining and one for the outer case) and align them right sides together. Stitch a 1/4 in seam along the right, left, and bottom edges. Flip right sides out, poke corners out, and press your seams.

2) Finish the top edge by folding the raw edges down 1/4 in and pressing, and then folding again and topstitching so that no raw edge is shown.
3) Make the pocket fold - Fold bottom edge up about 5 inches, and stitch the bottom, left, and right sides together. You may also want to topstitch across the bottom and sides of the sandwich now for a more finished look.
4) Add individual pockets to stash your tools. I stitched two pockets at 1 inch each for my writing tools, two pockets at 2 inches each for my scissors and rotary cutter, and then three pockets at 4 inches for stashing needles and projects. I only stitched across the folded up portion, but stitching vertically into the upper flap would secure the lining better.

5) *Optional seam ripper pocket: At the edge of one of the 4 inch pockets, I created a shallow sub-pocket for my seam ripper. Stitch approx 1 inch away from the pocket edge, starting at the top and going down. Stop after the length of your seam ripper, and sew a small line to connect over to the side of the pocket you measured from. This way your seam ripper (and other short tools) won't disappear into the bottom of the pockets!
*Optional pseudo pin cushion: In the far right pocket, stuff a 2x4 in piece of batting (as thick as you like) into the bottom section of the pocket. Stitch horizontally just above the batting to close it off -- you now have a pincushion with a shallow pocket on top!


*Optional Needle book: Cut 2 pieces of fabric 2x4 inches, sew 3 sides with right sides together. Invert and stuff with batting. Finish open edge by folding over twice. Stitch down the center of the sandwich (you may even choose to stitch down a tail of ribbon for a tether at the same time!) Stick needles in nice soft pages and fold closed. Tuck it into a pocket!

6) Add something to secure the roll-up - I used a simple 12in length of ribbon, stitched to the right edge of the pocket flap in the center of the ribbons' length. You can also add ribbons to the top of your larger pockets, so that you can 'tether' the tools you do not want separated from your new kit. I tied my ribbons to safety pins so that I can still remove them when I like.

7) Enjoy stuffing your tools into one handy homemade kit, and show it off!!


2 comments:

Quiet Quilter said...

That is great! I bought something like that a long time ago and put my knitting needles in it. The pockets were different sizes and the top folded over the tops of the needles. I rolled it up and could carry them wherever!

But this is smarter, with even the threads ready to be used. A perfect carry-all... great idea.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

How Cool is that. Great tutorial and a super pracitcal roll up. Thanks for sharing it.
Sadia