Monday, May 3, 2010

Nancy's Wallhanging

I said I would finish 3 UFOs in the next 3 months ... and what did I do today? Of course I started a brand new project!

In my defense I agreed to make a kit up for my father's wife last month, so that she could get back into sewing by hand / embroidery. I hope she realizes that I respect her skills with a needle and have given her a challenge!!

I used patterns from Kellie's lovely blog / quilt shop, Don't Look Now! for the butterflies, tree trunk, the birdie, and some of the flowers. Her work is exquisite, and I highly recommend you hop on over there and check her work out (and her store!) One of the things I most admire about her applique is her ability to choose her fabrics, and then "frame" elements inside the templates. Each fusing shape is placed just so on the fabric so that the result is symmetrical & more than the sum of it's parts. I love it!

I have to admit my attempts to duplicate her style were a mediocre success --- partly because I didn't have appropriate fabrics (like a matching set of Kaffe Fasset designer cottons used in this) and partly because I have never worked with fusible webbing before. I think it came out okay though, and I can't wait to hand it to her :)

2 comments:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

What a great kit idea for your father's wife. I love 'Dont look Now' patterns: they are so delightful. You have a wonderful blog.
Shirley/Sadia

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Sadia :) It helps me keep on track sometimes!