Friday, April 23, 2010

Colour at last - Dresden Style

I have recently been whining about being driven to complete a Fall-themed quilt --- the Deer in their rust and gold and brown tones. It is harder than you think to finish when there are colourful flowers blooming all around, and glorious bright fabric waiting to be used! My treat for slogging through the whole quilt without breaking down and starting another project?


COLOUR!

Awhile ago I browsed and browsed pictures of Dresden plates & fans, and I was disappointed to see so few done in simple jewel tones and brights. I saw a lot of them in eye searing, fussy, busy "grandma" prints ... like someone had pieced them from a collection of cloth they inherited from crazy great aunt Ester and they didn't care what happened to them because they still smelled like mothballs and old TV guides. How sad for the poor Dresden plate ...

Don't get me wrong, I did see some truly lovely quilts from this traditional block. But I thought it would increase my quilting karma a few notches if I addressed the poor injustice of the block rarely being done in brights that DON'T trigger an epileptic seizure. 

I alternated my colours with creamy white to balance it all out and make it a little different. I never saw that style in all the ones I browsed, so it satisfied my desire to do things a little differently (off center?)
Here are some samples of what I whipped up




Each one is a little different, bright and scrappy and gorgeous! It will be a queen sized quilt when finished --- but I need more cream fabric to finish the last 6 plates I need. And something pretty for the back of the block, since I am still on the fence about what to use. I am thinking a white tone on tone floral, or a faded green pastel ... And I'm still musing on how to finish the centers. And the border ...

But at least I got to shift into spring colours!

No comments: