Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Wolf Quilt

Hmm remember how I said that I should have started this blog much earlier, so I could post finished projects? This is one of those "catch up" posts --- only fair to give this quilt its due, since I finished it only a few days before starting to blog.

This was inspired by the Deer Quilt I was making at the time --- my boyfriends father is a deer admirer. It so happens that Cranston makes a similar panel in their wildlife collection with wolves --- and that my boyfriends mother is a wolf admirer. Since they have separate bedrooms due to a snoring issue, I have always intended to make them each a bed quilt. My man helped me search high and low for this elusive fabric, so that his parents could have this matching set.

When I went to the drawing board I decided to alternate the panels with a basic bear paw block .. and for the purpose of this quilt I of course mentally renamed it "wolf paw". And then the fun began!




Left: Here we are with the top laid out on my basting floor a.k.a basement floor, ready to get on our hands and knees and pin pin pin
Right: Remember Helpful Cat? He made several star appearances during the making of this quilt. OF COURSE I couldn't have done it without him ...
And (above) the finished product! My bed seems to be the 'model' for all my quilts, partly because it is the best lit area to take pictures of quilts ... but I was stunned by how good this quilt looked on my bed! I gave it to his mother right away, so I couldn't get any more attached to it :D





My favorite part of the whole quilt? The quilting designs in the wolf paw blocks!

1 comment:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

This is an amazing quilt as is the deer one. I just love the colours you have used. You have taken the design idea that step further to something really special. And...you think you dont have fabric and colour choice talent. lol
I would have been hard pressed to pass this along.