Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Need to make up for lost time

I should have started posting my quilting projects months ago! Then I could have a lovely little blog / quilting diary like the thousands and thousands it seems already exist. But it would be mine, my own, my preciousssssss...


Like this sweet little child, for example. Mine mine mine all mine! She is sticking her tongue out at me, but I love her to pieces just the same. And she will be 2 years old tomorrow --- I just can't believe it! Oh, the terrible twos ... what shall I do?! Probably bribe her with "pretties" like the new quilt I finished last week.


Although I made several quilt tops while she was still hanging out in my tummy, this was the first project I made especially for her (AND managed to give to her without her Daddy swiping it for his own). I had a few yards of this Cranston VIP print laying around and figured now was a good time to introduce her to the bright and cheerful world of butterflies.

So I ironed, folded, snipped & 1/4 inch seamed away and this is what emerged from the cocoon of my sewing corner. To my torment I kept the quilting very simple: I outlined the butterflies in white thread. I splurged and attached the double fold binding with a heirloom stitch of pretty little leaves, and also played around with my first quilt labels in the shape of little envelopes. I loved Pirate's nifty SWAK (sealed with a kiss) based instructions, but I was thinking something much smaller. So I started with a backing & lining sandwich 6 1/2 by 4 inches, added a ribbon stitched to the middle of the backing, and got a wee business card sized envelope to stitch to the back of the butterfly quilt.

No comments: